For years, schools have been practicing evacuation and fire drills. This method has been successful in getting students and teachers out of the buildings quickly and safely. Evacuation plans are also very important for businesses. Businesses looking to develop an evacuation plan can receive assistance from the Fire Department.
Please call the Fire Prevention Bureau to schedule an appointment. We will work with you to help plan an evacuation route for your building.
Some key items/steps to consider for your evacuation plan:
• Evacuate the building immediately according to your evacuation route.
• Stop what you are doing and walk, do not run, to the primary or alternate stairwell.
• Close all doors behind you.
• Use the stairs. Do not use the elevators. If the power fails, you may become trapped in the elevator.
• During fire alarms, elevators are taken out of service and returned to the ground floor.
• Once evacuated, proceed to your designated gathering area.
• Report to your supervisor for a headcount. Visitors must report to the receptionist for headcount.
• Do not re-enter the building until all clear announcement is given by the emergency coordinator.