When temperatures in Mount Prospect are expected to rise or drop to unsafe levels, residents who do not have access to air conditioning or heat are encouraged to take advantage of cooling/warming sites/centers.
Cook County Warming Centers
Residents are reminded during cold temperatures to:
- Never use your oven for heat
- Never bring charcoal or gas grills indoors (they are a carbon monoxide hazard)
- Make sure all portable heaters are unplugged when not in use
- Use electric space heaters with extreme caution – avoid placing them near curtains or other flammable materials and turn them off before going to bed
- Keep heat at adequate levels or leave faucets open with a slight drip to prevent pipes from freezing
- Keep moving. Your body generates its own heat when you engage in physical activities.
Residents are reminded during extreme heat to:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Try to stay in the shade or indoors as much as possible
- Check on elderly neighbors and those with functional needs
- Take pets indoors and make sure they have plenty of water