Single Family Refuse & Recycling Curbside Collection
Residential Service - Refuse, Recycling, and Yard Waste service is provided to the residents of Mount Prospect by Republic Services.
Standard Refuse and Recycling - Mount Prospect Residents are provided with:
Garbage and recycling can be placed at the curb as early as 4:30pm the day before collection and no later than 6:30am of the collection day. Late set-outs will not be collected until the following week.
REFUSE - One 35, 65, or 95 gallon GREEN wheeled cart for Garbage service (provided by the Village).
For garbage only. All garbage must be placed in the cart. Any garbage outside of the cart that is not on the approved bulk item list will not be collected. Your options are to hold onto thegarbage until the next scheduled collection day or call Republic Services for a special pickup (charges do apply).
If your current refuse cart is not meeting your needs please contact Public Works (847-870-5640) to discuss options available to you.”
RECYCLING - One 35, 65 or 95 gallon BLUE wheeled cart for Recycling service (provided by the Village).
For commingled recyclables such as: Newspaper, mixed paper, corrugated cardboard; glass food and beverage containers; steel, tin and bimetal containers; aluminum foil, formed-foil; #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 or #7 plastic containers (see bottom of container); wax and polycoated "gable topped" beverage containers such as milk cartons, juice drink boxes, whipping cream cartons, and fabric softener refills.
Please visit the Village's Recycling Programs for more information.
If your current recycling cart is not meeting your needs please contact Public Works (847-870-5640) to discuss options available to you.
There will be NO collection on the following holidays:
New Year's Day
Independence Day (July 4th)
If a holiday falls on a weekday or is observed on a weekday and your regularly scheduled pickup is on that day or after, your pickup will be delayed by one day. Friday pickups will be done on Saturday. The following week will return to the regular collection schedule.
If New Year's, Independence, or Christmas day fall on a Sunday, the holiday will be observed on Monday. Garbage collection will be delayed one day with Monday's collection occurring on Tuesday, etc. The following week will return to the regular collection schedule.
The refuse and recycling wheeled carts are available in three sizes: 35, 65 and 95 gallon.
Cart exchanges can be made by calling the Public Works department at (847) 870-5640. Once an exchange request has been made with the Public Works department the cart(s) will be exchanged by Republic Services on the resident’s first scheduled collection day after the request. For example, if a resident with a Monday collection calls Public Works on a Tuesday to request an exchange the cart will be exchanged on the following Monday. A representative from Republic Services will make the exchange after refuse trucks have finished collection. A resident that has scheduled an exchange must leave their cart(s) at the curb after collection. The new cart(s) will not be delivered if the old cart(s) are not at the curb. Depending on the volume of exchanges on a given day the exchange may occur as late as the day after collection.
Please DO NOT bring carts to Public Works for exchange.
Refuse and recycling wheeled carts must be placed at the curb on your scheduled collection day to be collected.
Wheeled Cart Placement Do’s
• Carts should be placed on the driveway apron at the curb line or on the parkway.
• Carts should be placed for collection with the handle facing away from the street.
• Carts should be placed at the curb with a two (2) foot separation between the carts, mailbox or sign posts.
• Cart lids must be closed.
Wheeled Cart Placement Don’ts
• Carts should not be placed in the street.
• Cart lids should not be open.
• Items should not be placed on top of the closed lid.
• Do not place items (white goods, bulk items, yard waste) in front of the carts.
• Village Code regulates where refuse, recycling and yard waste containers may be stored on your property.
• Carts or yard waste containers can be stored along the side, rear or in the garage of a property.
• Carts or containers cannot be stored in front of the property. Carts stored on the driveway in front of the garage or in the front yard are a violation of Village Code.
• Corner houses may not place receptacles in a corner or exterior side yard unless receptacles are completely screened from adjacent street by permanent fence or dense planting.
- Lawn Care Equipment
- Microwave Ovens
- Mattresses/Box Springs
- Barbeque Grills
- Plumbing Fixtures (toilet bowl and tank need to be separated for collection)
- Carpet Rolls (no longer than 5 feet)
- Swing Sets (5 foot lengths)
This is not an exhaustive list of bulk items. If you do not see your item on the list please contact the Public Works department to see if it will be collected as a bulk item.
Brush bundles can only contain tree branches and limbs that do not exceed 3.5 inches in diameter and 5 feet in length. Bundles are not to exceed a total weight of 50 pounds. Brush bundles must be secured with a biodegradable material.
Large tree limbs must be placed in the wheeled cart. Materials that cannot be containerized must be prepared in the following manner:
- Bundles or individual logs will be collected at no cost on your regular scheduled collection day.
- Brush must be bundled
- Bundles or individual logs not to exceed 50 pounds.
- Bundles or individual logs not to exceed five (5) feet in length.
- One (1) cubic yard limit (approximately six (6) bundles equal one (1) cubic yard).
- Bundles must be secured with a biodegradable material (cloth or twine); no wire or plastic.
- Bundles and individual logs must be placed on the parkway next to your cart.
Construction debris must be placed in the wheeled cart. Materials that cannot be containerized must be prepared in the following manner:
- Debris placed in the cart must be prepared in a manner that allows the lid of the cart to close. (ex. boards placed in the cart must be cut to a size allowing the lid to close)
- Bundles are not to exceed five (5') feet in length nor 50 pounds in weight; one (1) cubic yard limit. (Approximately six (6) bundles equal one (1) cubic yard) Doors count as one bundle of construction debris.