The project consists removing and replacing sidewalk, or installing new sidewalk, at the following
1. Removing and replacing sidewalk, and installing new sidewalk through two (2) commercial
driveways, on the north and south sides of Dempster Street, between Algonquin Road
and Busse Road.
2. Removing and replacing sidewalk on the east and west sides of Elmhurst Road, between
Camp McDonald Road and Highland Street.
3. Removing and replacing sidewalk on the north and south sides of Euclid Avenue, between
Rand Road and Wheeling Road.
4. Removing and replacing sidewalk on the north and south sides of Kensington Road,
between Forest Avenue and Wheeling Road.
Dempster Street and Euclid Avenue are Cook County Department of Transportation and
Highways roads and require a permit.
What kind of work will be done?
In general, the construction process will include:
- Sawcutting and removing the existing sidewalk.
- Pouring of concrete for the new sidewalk.
- Removal and replacement of portions of the driveway, if necessary, to facilitate the sidewalk construction.
- Backfilling with topsoil along the edges of the new sidewalk that were disrupted during construction.
What about access to my driveway?
Because the sidewalk crosses thru driveways there will be times when you may not be able to access your driveway. You will be notified the day before that happens. If your driveway access is interrupted you can expect to be without access for about 10 days. Please allow at least three (3) full days before driving over the new concrete. You will be permitted to park on Village streets within the immediate area of your home. Please note that Golf Road is a State of Illinois Road and no parking is allowed on it. If you have special needs due to a disability or if you discover that your sidewalk has been removed with your vehicle still in your driveway or garage, please contact the Public Works Department at (847) 870-5640
Will services to my home be affected?There will be no changes in your regular services such as garbage pick-up, mail delivery, or emergency Police and Fire services. However, there may be times during the day when construction activities temporarily block lanes. Please use caution when driving through the construction zone. If you have a sprinkler system, invisible dog fence, or brick pavers, please notify the Public Works Department. Per Village Ordinance, it is your responsibility to temporarily relocate, reinstall, or repair any of these items during construction.
Donna Brown, P.E.
Village of Mount Prospect
Schroeder and Schroeder, Inc.