If you use a space heater in your home or office, the Mount Prospect Fire Department encourages you to follow these important safety tips:
- Look for a space heater equipped with a guard around the heat source to keep children and pets safe.
- Select a heater approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for proper use and safety measures.
- Use space heaters only in well-vented areas and at least three feet away from any objects such as curtains, clothing or furniture.
- Always place a space heater on a flat, level surface.
- Do not use an extension cord to power the space heater.
- Use K-1 kerosene only for kerosene space heaters (do not use gasoline, camp stove fuel, or any other flammable liquid).
- Store all fuel outdoors. Never refuel the heater inside the home.
- Never leave a space heater on overnight or unattended.
- Never place objects on the space heater to dry.
For more information, please call the Mount Prospect Fire Prevention Bureau at 847.818.5253.