While summer is the season to enjoy grilling, it is also the peak time for grill related fires. To keep your family safe this grilling season, follow these important tips:
- Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year by applying a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck, railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- When finished using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
The most important thing to remember is to never leave grilling unattended! For more information regarding grilling fires or general fire safety, please contact the Mount Prospect Fire Prevention Bureau at 847.818.5253.