As the winter weather arrives and you use your fireplace to keep your home warm, please follow these important safety tips:
Keep Fireplaces Clean
- Have your chimney thoroughly cleaned and inspected at least once a year. Make sure that the flue is carefully inspected both inside and out.
- Burn only hard woods as they contain smaller amounts of creosote, a black tarry substance that can block passageways and/or easily ignite.
- Put cool ashes in a metal container when you clean out your fireplace.
Safely Burn Fuel
- Never leave a fire in your fireplace unattended.
- Burn only seasoned firewood.
- Never burn paper, charcoal or rags.
- When using artificial logs, burn only one at a time.
Protect Your Home
- Keep flammable and combustible articles at least three feet away from the open fire.
- Make certain that your smoke detectors are working.
- Always use a fireplace screen in front of your fireplace.
- Supervise children at all times when using your fireplace.