The Fire Prevention Bureau is responsible for investigating all major fires that occur in Mount Prospect. The Fire Marshal and all three Fire Inspectors are certified Fire Investigators specially trained to determine the origin and cause of a fire. Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 847/818-5253 with any questions in regards to fire investigations.
AFTER THE FIRE
When a fire occurs at your home or business it is often difficult to know where to begin and who to contact. The Mount Prospect Fire InvestigationTeam is available to both residents and business owners to help answer any questions you may have.
The Fire Prevention Bureau recommends residents or business owners to take the following steps if a fire has occurred:
- Secure the building and/or site to prevent any further damage from weather and theft/vandalism.
- Contact your insurance agent to report a loss as soon as possible.
- If there is excessive damage, contact a board-up company.
- Keep all receipts for money you spent related to the fire.
- Remove any valuable from your home or business if you need to leave and/or relocate.
- Watch for any signs of heat and/or smoke – call 9-1-1 if this occurs.
- Check with a licensed electrician before turning on any electrical appliances.
- If the fire occurs during the winter months, determine if you need to winterize any plumbing fixtures.
- Discard any beverages, food and/or medicines that have been exposed to heat, smoke or soot.