Payment Extension Due to COVID-19
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, 2020-2021 vehicle stickers may be purchased without late fees until July 31, 2020. There will not be any enforcement action for vehicles not displaying the current sticker until August, 2020. Vehicle stickers will no longer be sold in-person at Village Hall; walk-ins will not be accepted for vehicle sticker transactions until further notice. There are several options to purchase stickers:
- Online – Click Here (for renewals or first time purchases; no first-time seniors or handicapped)
- By Mail – Use the envelope provided with the renewal application or your own envelope and mail to:
Village of Mount Prospect, Attn: Vehicle Stickers, 50 S Emerson Street, Mount Prospect, IL 60056
Additional vehicles registered to the same person may be added to renewal applications. If you need a blank application to complete and mail, Click Here .
- Deposit in 24-hour payment boxes at Village Hall (located next to the front door & in the parking deck, next to the library book return).
- Standard priced passenger stickers ONLY may be purchased in person at the Elmhurst Road Currency Exchange, 1698 S Elmhurst Road, Mount Prospect. (A $2 service fee per sticker applies at the currency exchange.)
Standard price Passenger stickers are $45; motorcycle and motorbike tags are $30; and trucks with B plates are $68. There is an additional price schedule for trucks based on individual weight. If you purchased a sticker last year, a renewal application was mailed on January 31st.
Residents who purchase new vehicles have 30 days from the date of sale to purchase a vehicle sticker at the regular rate; After July 31, proof of purchase for new vehicles is required.
If a new license plate is not received within 30 days from the vehicle purchase date, a resident should not wait for the new plate number, but rather indicate that the license has been “applied for." Once the plate number has been received, contact the Finance Department at 847/392-6000 to record the license plate number.
Residents who change vehicles after having purchased a 2020-2021 vehicle sticker should remove the sticker upon the sale/donation/trade-in of the old vehicle and contact the Finance Department at 847/392-6000 with updated vehicle information to determine eligibility for transference of the sticker from one vehicle to another for no additional fee.
Seniors who turn 65 prior to May 1, 2020 are eligible to purchase a vehicle sticker at a reduced rate. However, just one reduced rate per family/household is allowed and the vehicle must be owned and operated by the senior for a non-commercial purpose. A copy of a current driver’s license is required at the time of purchase for first-time seniors.
Certain individuals with disabilities may be eligible to receive one sticker for no charge. If the vehicle has Illinois handicapped license plates, a copy of the registration must be presented annually by April 30 (July 31 this year) to obtain the sticker for no charge. If the vehicle does not have handicapped license plates, a permanent handicapped placard (or photocopy of such) must be presented annually by April 30 (July 31 this year) to obtain the sticker for no charge. Please contact the Finance Department for more information.
Key Factors to Keep in Mind
• If you have an expired Mount Prospect vehicle sticker and did not receive a renewal application in the mail, this does not absolve you of the responsibility to purchase a sticker by the extended due date.
• If the vehicle(s) you have now is/are not the same as the vehicle(s) you had when last year’s sticker was purchased, the application form will contain information about the former vehicle(s). In that case, simply indicate that you no longer own that vehicle and enter the new vehicle information on the application.
For more information regarding vehicle stickers, please call the Finance Department at 847/392-6000.