News

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Caution - Dangerous Social Media Trend is Fire Hazard

Post Date:01/22/2020

burnt-electronical-socketA popular social media platform geared towards middle school and high school students recently released a viral video challenge involving cellphone chargers, coins and electrical outlets.

The “challenge” is to plug a cellphone charger into an electrical outlet with the charger out just a little bit from the outlet. With the gap between the outlet and the charger, kids are then placing a coin over the two plugs resulting in a large electrical discharge. This “challenge” is very dangerous and could result in possible fires; electrical shock; electrical damage to outlet and wiring.

Parents, be aware that this “challenge” is very dangerous and can cause large damage and injuries. If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Fire Prevention Bureau at 847.818.5253.

Return to full list >>