News

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Fire Department Responds to Fire at 1804 W. Central Road

Post Date:08/08/2019 4:30 PM
On August 7th at 6:03am, the Mount Prospect Fire Department responded to a commercial fire alarm. While enroute, Northwest Central Dispatch upgraded the alarm to a Code 3 for smoke in the building. Upon arrival, smoke was confirmed and a hopper full of smoldering chemical detergent was found. The fire was extinguished and the building was ventilated. The product was contained to the building and no release outside the building was noted.  

At 9:48pm, the Mount Prospect Fire Department responded to the same location and found a semi-trailer of the same smoldering chemical detergent inside the facility.  The semi-trailer was removed from the facility by a private contractor. The semi-trailer proceeded to become heavily involved with fire due to the oxidizing nature of the chemical detergent. The fire was extinguished by the Mount Prospect Fire Department.   The fire was contained to the trailer and did not extend into the building. Hazardous materials technicians from the Fire Department were onsite to monitor the situation. There appears to be no health risk to the general public. The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental in nature. 

The Fire Department is currently on scene to work with both the manufacturing company and the contracted site cleanup company. The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (currently on scene), and the Illinois State Environmental Protection Agency have both been notified to ensure cleanup of this incident meets all State, Federal, and Local guidelines. There were no reports of injuries to any facility workers, responders or members of the public. 
Return to full list >>