Skip to page body Home About Us What's New Residents Business Government I Want To…

FilesThe Community Development Department and Village Manager’s Office process several types of business-related permit applications. If you are unsure what permits you may need for your business, please contact the Community Development Department at 847/818-5328 or email for more information.

Business Licenses – A Business License or Business Certificate is required for all businesses operating in the Village of Mount Prospect, with the exception of Home Based Businesses (Home Occupations).
Businesses operated out of a residence have their own regulations; for more information on Home Occupations, click here.

Building Permits - A good rule of thumb is if it involves adding, moving, or exposing water, gas, electricity or walls, or it involves your property lines, it is going to need a permit! The Community Development Department has consolidated all building permit types into a single application.  Please use this form for all applicable building permits. 

Contractor Licenses - Section 11.901 of the Village Code requires all contractors to be licensed by the Village of Mount Prospect before beginning any project.  A building permit will not be issued until contractors listed on the permit application are licensed with the Village.

Sign Permits – All installation of new signs, including sign faces, requires a Sign Permit. Please do not contract for your sign until you and/or your sign company have received an approved sign permit from the Village.

Liquor Licenses – An application for a liquor license is available through the Village Manager’s Office upon request.

Outdoor Dining Permit - A permit is required if the proposed outdoor dining area will be located on public property (i.e. public right-of-way).  Permits for outdoor dining are valid for one year and businesses are required to reapply each year.

Business Alarm License - An application for an alarm license is available as a PDF or can be picked up at the Police Department, 112 E. Northwest Highway. A $25 annual fee is required with a completed application.

Last updated: 2/18/2015 8:45:40 AM