Download Farmer's Market Brochure
Temporary Food Permit
- Operators of stands and concessions who wish to sell food other than fresh produce must contact the Village of Mount Prospect Environmental Health Division.
- Must be clean and sanitary.
- Must maintain working mechanical refrigeration for all potentially hazardous foods.
- An adequate number of tightly covered waste containers must be provided for storage of garbage.
- No pets are allowed in the storage and display area.
Foods Prohibited at Farmers Markets
- Home made ice cream.
- Un-pasteurized dairy products.
- Home canned foods
- Home prepared sandwiches.
- Home vacuum packaged products (of any type).
- Home butchered meat, poultry or wild game animals.
- Home made garlic-in-oil
- Pickles, relishes and salsa.
Foods Allowed at Farmer's Market with Certain Restrictions
- Baked Goods-of non-creamer and custard filling.
- Herb Vinegar-will be allowed provided commercial vinegar is used, which has a controlled pH, and labeling requirements are followed.
- Flavored Oils-may be sold only if it is produced in a commercial processing plant.
- Shell Eggs-a Department of Agriculture license is required for anyone who sells eggs.
- Cut Melons-must be covered/wrapped and iced for display only and must be discarded after four hours.
- Mushrooms-commercially raised mushrooms must have documentation showing their source.
- Honey-must be from an inspected source (IDPH, FDA).
- Apple Cider- should be packaged or in a container, and must be pasteurized or show warning statement on the label.
- Ice Cream-may be sold if it is manufactured in a licensed dairy plant or in a retail food establishment from commercially pasteurized ice cream mix or from pasteurized milk and pasteurized eggs.
Foods Allowed at Farmer's Market with no Restrictions
- Fresh Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts, Seeds-uncut, not processed in any way.
- Melons-may be cut for display only.
- Popcorn, Other Seeds-not sprouted, ground, etc.
- Organic Foods-not cut or processed.
- Fresh or Dried Herbs.
Food Protection During Storage, Display and Sales
- Maintain cold foods at 41oF and below.
- Food must be stored off the ground.
- Foods on display must be protected from contamination.
- Any prepared, baked, processed or cut food must be packaged or wrapped for protection.
- All equipment must be clean, sanitary, smooth, sealed and constructed of approved materials to prevent against contamination.
- Maintain good hand washing practices at all times during food handling.
- All ice used for the display of cold drinks must be properly drained.
- Common name of the product.
- Name, address and zip code of the packer, processor, manufacturer.
- Net contents.
- List of ingredients in descending order of predominance by weight.
- List of any artificial color, artificial flavor or preservative used.
THIS FOOD SAFETY GUIDE IS NOT ALL INCLUSIVE. FOR ADDITIONAL HEALTH REQUIREMENTS AND INFORMATION CONTACT YOUR LOCAL HEALTH OFFICIAL.