YARD WASTE PROGRAM IS NOW CALLED ORGANICS PROGRAM
Unlimited Organics Collection Program
The Village has rebranded existing yard waste program as an Organics program. In addition to the collection of yard waste, the village will now accept organics material including fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. All yard waste and organics material will be collected in unlimited quantities, residents for no additional charge. Yard waste/organics will be collected in unlimited quantities, but the resident must provide their own rigid container or obtain one through the cart rental program for collection. This service is provided to all residents for no additional charge. Service is provided from April – mid-December.
- Grass clippings
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat (no bone)
- Dairy – cheese, yogurt (no liquids)
- Coffee Grounds
- Plastic bags
- Bones, seafood
- Shrink wrap
- Chip and candy wrappers
- Plastic forks, knives or spoons
- Plastic containers or wrap form food packaging
- Plastic of any kind
- Glass of any kind
- No beverages
Organics/Yard Waste Collection Details
- Rigid containers cannot exceed 32 gallon capacity. The container will not be collected if it exceeds 32 gallons.
- Rigid containers cannot exceed 50 pounds. The container will not be collected if it exceeds 50 pounds.
If you choose to use kraft paper bags, you will only be able to dispose of yard waste material. Material identified as organic must be disposed of in a rigid container.
- Bags must be made of biodegradable kraft paper. Biodegradable bags made out of corn starch or similar products are not acceptable.
- Bags cannot exceed 32 gallon capacity. The bag will not be collected if it exceeds 32 gallons.
- Bags cannot exceed 50 pounds. The bag will not be collected if it exceeds 50 pounds.
- Plastic bags cannot be used to dispose of yard waste. Plastic bags containing yard waste will not be collected.
Collection Set-Out Times
Yard waste can be placed at the curb as early as 4:30pm the day before collection and no later than 6:30am of collection day. Late set-outs will not be collected until the following week.
Brush Collection – Brush Less than 3.5 inches in Diameter
- Residents may set out an unlimited number of properly prepared bundles of brush.
- Brush bundles are collected on your regular collection day.
- Tree limbs must not exceed 3.5 inches diameter.
- Brush must be bundles – bundles not to exceed 50 pounds, 5 feet in length and must be secured with a biodegradable material (cloth or twine); no wire or plastic.
For Brush Greater than 3.5 inches in Diameter
- Brush or logs greater than 3.5 inches in diameter are taken as garbage and not collected as yard waste.
- Logs can be placed in your garbage cart for collection or placed outside the cart. If logs are placed outside the cart the logs must be prepared according to the following specifications:
- Bundles or individual logs will be collected on your regular scheduled collection day, not to exceed 50 pounds, or five (5) feet in length.
- One (1) cubic yard limit (approximately six (6) bundles or large logs equal one (1) cubic yard).
- Bundles must be secured with a biodegradable material (cloth or twine); no wire or plastic.
Organics/Yard Waste Cart Rental
Households producing a large amount of yard waste may be interested in the Village’s optional yard waste cart rental program. The program has a monthly fee of approximately $3.50 (please contact Public Works for current rate) paid directly to Village that includes the use of a wheeled cart (cart size of your choice – 35,65 or 95 gallon).
Service is provided once a week on your scheduled collection between April and mid-December.
To participate in the cart rental, please contact Republic Services directly 847-981-0091.
Christmas Tree Collection (January 2 - 12)
Christmas trees and wreaths will be collected by the refuse hauler at no additional cost on your regular collection day.
Christmas trees set out for composting must be free of all decorative debris. Please remove all decorative items from the tree including:
All questions concerning the disposal of large logs should be directed to the Public Works Department (847-870-5640).