A dedication ceremony was held on September 3, 2002 to officially name Moehling Park. It is named after one of the Village’s founding families, the Moehlings. The park is located next to the Moehling General Store (home of Capannari Ice Cream), 10 S. Pine Street.
The Moehling General Store is the oldest commercial building in Mount Prospect. Built in 1880, the building originally served as Mount Prospect’s first general store and also as Mount Prospect’s first post office. As proprietors of the store, John and Emelia Moehling provided the necessities of life to a fledgling community.
On September 9, 1999, the building was moved from its original location at the corner of Route 83 and Northwest Highway to make way for new retail/residential development. The building has been renovated to be used as retail, professional, or office space. In June 2001, the building became home to Capannari Ice Cream. Several businesses and organizations were instrumental in the renovation project, which would not have been possible without their assistance.
“We hope that naming the park after the Moehlings will create an initial level of awareness of a family who was important in Mount Prospect's early history,” said Trustee Paul Hoefert, who was instrumental in the preservation and renovation of the old general store and creation of the park. “This initial awareness may then spur someone with curiosity in local history to find out more about the Moehling Family and the settlement of the Mount Prospect area.”
It is the intent for the general store and park area to serve as a gathering place, a destination for Mount Prospect residents to enjoy and appreciate nature and their neighbors. The Mount Prospect Garden Club was responsible for establishing a butterfly garden in the park. The park also features a sculpture carved from one of the oldest trees in Mount Prospect.