Don't Drink and Drive:
Tips to Prevent Drinking and Driving
- Choose a non-drinking designated driver if you’re consuming alcohol.
- Ask for a ride.
- Protect others by taking their keys if they attempt to drive after consuming alcohol. They may be mad at you, but the alternative is much worse.
When Throwing a Party
- Offer guests plenty of non-alcoholic beverages like water, juice, and soda. Never pressure guests to drink alcohol.
- Serve plenty of food.
- Arrange alternate transportation. Pay attention to your guests' alcohol intake and behavior. Call a cab or set up a ride with a sober driver.
- Never serve alcohol to minors.
Detecting Drunk Drivers
Law enforcement officials say there are several signs associated with driving drunk. Keeping these in mind to help avoid a dangerous situation:
- Making wide turns
- Weaving, swerving, drifting, or straddling the center line
- Almost striking an object or vehicle
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Driving at a very slow speed
- Stopping without cause
- Braking erratically
- Responding slowly to traffic signals
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving after dark with headlights off
Be careful on the road. Pull over and report drivers you suspect to be under the influence by calling 9-1-1.