The Village Board adopted the official Comprehensive Plan of 2017 for the Village of Mount Prospect at the November 7th, 2017 Village Board meeting. Click here to download a PDF of the 2017 Comprehensive Plan
A Comprehensive Plan is a community’s primary planning document that guides planning and development policy. It sets a vision for the community, describes goals and objectives for existing and future development, and provides an implementation strategy for achieving the goals. A Comprehensive Plan for the Village of Mount Prospect was first adopted in 1976 and was last updated in 2007. The 2017 update is titled “Envision Mount Prospect - Planning our Future Together” (the Plan) and represents an extensive update to the 2007 Comprehensive Plan. As 2017 is also the Village’s centennial year, the Plan celebrates the Village’s history, existing conditions, and plans for its future.
The Plan ties in closely with the vision and goals of the Village’s Strategic Plan, and also aims at addressing issues, opportunities, and trends in the community today and those anticipated in the future. Six guiding principles form the framework of the Plan that jointly aim at achieving the vision developed for the community. Each guiding principle has a set of goals along with policies, strategies, and an action oriented implementation plan to achieve the goals. The Plan also includes a Future Growth and Opportunities Map and a Future Land Use Plan that provides direction for where and how the community can accommodate growth and change in the future. Together with the implementation plan, these maps and the Future Land Use Plan will guide growth in the Village in coordination with transportation and infrastructure decisions, and community amenity and service needs.
The planning process for the Plan spanned over a year and a half, and included an extensive review of existing conditions and a comprehensive community engagement strategy to maximize community input. The key engagement activities included the following:
• Steering Committee – Comprised of residents, business owners, and key stakeholders, the steering committee helped guide the development of the Plan. They met on a regular basis, reviewed the analysis, goals, and strategies, and provided feedback on the content of the Plan document.
• Project website- www.envisionmp.org was created to provide information on the planning process, public engagement events, and opportunities for feedback.
• Surveys - A community survey was created to get feedback on key issues in the community. It was made available in both English and Spanish, and received 460 responses. A separate survey was also created to help prioritize the implementation strategies, and received 389 responses.
• Public Events - The survey was promoted and public feedback on issues and opportunities was solicited at public events, including the Bluesmobile Cruise Night, French Farmer’s Market, Fall Festival, and the Halloween Meet and Treat events.
• Open Houses - Open houses were held at the Mount Prospect Public Library, Robert Frost Elementary School, River Trails Middle School, and the Community Connections Center to encourage residents to participate.
• Visioning Workshop - A workshop was conducted to engage the Steering Committee and Village staff in the development of the vision statement for the Plan. An analysis of the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) was conducted to further inform the development of goals and strategies to achieve the vision for the Plan.
• Joint Meeting - An interim draft document of the Plan was presented at a public meeting with the Village Board, Planning and Zoning Commission, and Steering Committee. This meeting was also attended by Village residents, and included group feedback sessions on each of the guiding principles and goals for the Plan, as well as a Big Ideas Workshop to note key opportunities in the Village.
• Planning and Zoning Commission Public Hearing - The Commission help a public hearing on September 28, 2017 to review the Plan. A copy of the draft document was available for public review both online and at Village Hall for 15 days prior to this public hearing. The Commission recommended the adoption of the Plan to the Village Board by a vote of 5-0.
• Village Board approval - The Village of Mount Prospect Village Board held a first reading of the Plan at the October 17th Village Board Meeting. The second reading was at the November 7th, 2017 Village Board Meeting, at which it was adopted by a vote of 7-0.
For more information on the planning process, please refer to the project website - www.envisionmp.org